If you have been to my house you have probably seen granola/peanut butter balls in my fridge. Do you know what I’m talking about? They include rolled oats + peanut butter + honey + flax, etc. These protein bites have been a staple for my kids and I because they A) are a perfectly sized, sweet treat B) they keep a long time in the refrigerator C) they are made with healthy ingredients and D) my kids love them after a meal for a dessert.
Unfortunately, something happened and they just don’t pass as dessert in our household anymore. Maybe I made them too much and they quit being a “special” treat. Maybe I let too many processed desserts into our house that they could not compete with. (It would be rude not to support the local girl scouts though, right?!)
I also had a theory was that Oliver wasn’t a fan of their texture. With rolled oats and coconut flakes, they can be pretty crunchy and chewy for little teeth. I wondered if he would like them with a smoother texture and that is how these “cookie dough” bites were born. All I had to do was say cookie dough and my kids were jumping with excitement to try one of these babies.
I ended up running the rolled oats, coconut and flax seed all together in my Vitamix to create a flour-like texture. I added a bit of coconut oil and brown sugar to get that creamed butter and sugar feel that is synonymous with cookie dough.
The results were insanely delicious. Like, lick-the-spoon good! Cookie dough without the work of having to bake cookies.
Side note: this entire post was done on my phone while holding a baby and keeping a 2 year old busy. ? I never seem to have time to take a picture on my DSLR and then upload that to my computer. So I am going to try my hand at mobile blogging because that’s the only way I’m going to get it done!!
- 1 c rolled oats
- 1 Tbls flax seed
- ½ c unsweetened coconut flakes
- ½ c peanut butter (I used one-ingredient pb)
- ⅓ c honey
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 Tbls brown sugar (optional)
- 1 Tbls coconut oil
- ½ c dark chocolate chips (I used part mini m&m's for a fun treat)
- In a food processor or high powered blender: pulse oats, coconut and flax until a flour consistency is formed. Pour mixture into a medium sized bowl. Add remaining ingredients and stir until combined. Roll into bite-sized balls and refrigerate.
- Note: they will be very soft and cookie dough-like right away and will firm up after refrigerating.