Have you heard of zoodles? They are zucchini noodles. If you eat grain free or gluten free they are a decent alternative to regular pasta. I say “decent” because I have tried them quite a few ways and at the end of the day they still aren’t pasta to me. I do, however, think they are a fun way to eat raw vegetables.
Let me back up here and say, my family does not eat gluten free or grain free as a rule. I am conscious, though, of how much wheat we eat because I think it can easily add up to more than you think in a day. Also, I like to eat a variety of vegetables and I’m always open to trying something new. My sister-in-law knew this about me and surprised me last year with a spiralizer. (I was pumped!)
I love spiralizing carrots, sweet potatoes, cucumbers and zucchini. Kids think they are fun to eat, and I have to be honest, I agree. Who wouldn’t want to eat these cute zucchini curls?
So here is my favorite thing to make using my spiralizer:
(photo credit: Vaida Sadly I think her picture is better than mine – she wanted everyone to know that she took this one!)
Back to my Italian zoodle salad. This is a great side dish to serve at a summer bbq or just for a fun vegetable side for your table. Also, it is hearty enough with the whole milk mozzarella, pepperoni and cherry tomato that you could easily eat this alone for lunch.
- ⅓ c cherry tomatoes, halved
- ⅓ c whole milk mozzarella, cubed
- ⅓ c pepperoni slices, halved
- ½ small red onion, sliced thin
- 1 medium-large zucchini, spiralized
- ½ c leafy greens (I used baby kale and spinach)
- ¼ tsp basil (fresh basil would be great but I only had dried)
- 1 Tbls balsamic vinegar
- ½ tsp salt
- 1½ Tbls olive oil
- 1 Tbls fresh squeezed lemon juice
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper
- Combine tomatoes, mozzarella, pepperoni, onion, zucchini and spinach/kale in a large bowl. Whisk remaining ingredients together and pour over veggies and toss to coat.
- It may not seem like a lot of dressing but the zucchini will give off liquid as it sits in fridge.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour and enjoy!
- (Tip: the "zoodles" tend to get soggy over time so this is best enjoyed the day you make it.)