On Sundays I usually plan and prep meals for the week. Almost every time I ask my husband for ideas. Our conversation goes a little like this:
Me: Do you have any meal requests?
Ryan: Whatever you make will be good with me.
So I continue to just make whatever I feel like. It’s a good system if you ask me. 🙂 Except for last week.
Me: Hey Ry, do you have any meal requests?
Ryan: I was thinking stuffed portabella mushrooms would be good.
Me: ????? Ok I’m on it…
I have no idea where he came up with it but I was going to have to deliver.
I have to admit these were soooo good. I think they fall somewhere between a sausage pizza, lasagna, and a fancy Italian appetizer. Either way I will be adding them to my rotation of meals.
- 1 c chopped tomatoes
- ¾ c diced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbls olive oil
- ¾ lb pork sausage
- ½ c shredded mozzarella
- ⅓ c breadcrumbs (I used my homemade whole wheat breadcrumbs that are lightly seasoned with added parmesan cheese)
- 1 egg
- 4 large portabella mushroom caps
- ¼ c shredded mozzarella (for topping)
- Fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Place tomatoes, onion and garlic on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil and salt and pepper. Roast for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, brown and drain sausage. Add ½ c mozzarella, breadcrumbs, egg and roasted tomatoes to sausage and stir until combined.
- Fill mushroom caps with sausage mixture and top with additional mozzarella.
- Bake at 400 F for about 20 minutes. Remove from oven and top with fresh basil, enjoy!