You know the moment when you make something so good you break out into the “happy food dance”. Please tell me I’m not alone with this one. Well these English muffins had everyone in my family dancing!
The store-bought version of these have 20 ingredients in them – half of which I cannot even pronounce. The homemade version is made with 11 staples that I have in my kitchen and all of them I feel good about feeding my family.
Needless to say, I have been wanting to make a homemade version of these for years and I always figured they were too much work. Well, I am happy to report that if you can make pancakes you can make English muffins. I was so surprised that there was no kneading involved.
Step 1. mix up the yeasty batter & allow to rise for an hour
Step 2. ladle onto a hot, buttered pan and cook a few minutes on each side
Step 3. bake them with a dusting of corn meal for 6-9 minutes
…and like that you are in English muffin paradise.
- 4 tsp active dry yeast
- ⅔ c warm water (105 F)
- dash of sugar
- 8 Tbls unsalted butter
- 1 c plain yogurt (I used plain, Greek yogurt), room temp
- 1 c whole milk, warm
- 1 Tbls honey
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 2 c whole wheat flour
- 2 c all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1-2 Tbls cornmeal
- Combine yeast, water & sugar and allow to sit for 5 minutes until yeast is dissolved.
- Melt 4 Tablespoons of butter and place in a large bowl. Add yeast mixture, yogurt, milk, honey & salt and mix until smooth.
- Add flours and baking soda and stir until well combined. (Dough will resemble a thick pancake batter.)
- Cover bowl and allow to sit for 1 hour in a warm spot until dough has doubled.
- Melt 1 Tbls of butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Scoop ½ cup of dough/batter and pour into hot pan, coaxing the dough with your fingers to form a circle (it doesn't need to be perfectly round!) I fit 3 muffins in the pan at once.
- Reduce heat to low and cover the skillet with a lid and cook 3-5 minutes on each side until they are golden brown.
- Remove muffins and place on a cookie sheet that is sprinkled with 1 Tbls of cornmeal.
- Place another Tbls of butter in the skillet and repeat making 3 more muffins at a time until all of the batter is used.
- Bake @ 350 F fro 6-9 minutes or until cooked through.
- Using a fork, split muffins through the middle and toast before serving.