My kids love bars. Cereal bars, granola bars, really, any kind of individually wrapped package is a total treat to them.
There are not many brands that I happy buying for them (obviously many are loaded in sugar, artificial colors, etc.) and the organic ones available at Target are super pricey, so I thought I’d try making my own.
I turned to Alana Chernila’s, “The Homemade Pantry” because I didn’t feel comfortable making my own recipe right out of the gate. (Now I’m excited to try a million different versions…more granola bar recipes to come. )
These were amazing! They were about 10x better than any store-bought granola bar and my kids thought they were a tasty treat.
(clearly I over-posted pictures here but I’m playing around with pics and sizes in my posts so bear with me please!)
- ¼ c coconut oil, melted
- 2 c old fashioned rolled oats
- 1½ c puffed millet
- 1¼ c chopped dried fruit (I used dried wild blueberries & cherries, chopped)
- 1 c sliced almonds
- 1 Tbls cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ c dark chocolate chips
- ½ c unsweetened shredded coconut
- ½ c brown rice syrup
- ¼ c brown sugar
- 1 Tbls vanilla
- In medium bowl combine oats, millet, fruit, almonds, coconut, cinnamon, salt & chocolate chips.
- In a saucepan combine brown rice syrup, brown sugar, coconut oil and vanilla. Stir over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, and bring to a boil. Boil for 1 minute. Pour syrup mixture over the granola and stir to coat thoroughly.
- Press the mixture(firmly) into a greased 9x13 pan and refrigerate for 1 hour. Cut into bars. Store in refrigerator for up to 10 days or freeze.