This is the kind of pasta dish you eat for dinner and then look forward to lunch the next day so you can enjoy the leftovers. It is the kind of dish perfect for sharing with guests. It will also make you wish you had Italian heritage to brag about. This is the kind of pasta dish you need to be making.
The lineup of ingredients include: oven roasted tomatoes (the best!), Italian sausage, artichokes, fresh mozzarella, fresh basil, parmesan cheese and garlic.
Now you get it. 🙂
I originally got this idea from one of my Giada DeLaurentiis cookbooks, however, that book is packed away in storage right now so I made my own version. There are a few separate steps that need to be completed around the same time before tossing the dish all together. Read the directions before starting the recipe so you can time everything out accordingly. (I promise, this is not a difficult dish but rather one you want to get the timing right on.) Also, I think this tastes almost better the next day because the flavors have time to marinade together.
If you’ve never roasted cherry tomatoes in the oven before, I included a picture to show you how they are literally bursting with flavor:
- 12 oz cherry tomatoes (about 2 cups)
- ⅛ c olive oil
- 1 lb ground Italian sausage (mild or hot)
- ½ c chopped onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 c chicken broth
- 14 oz can artichoke hearts, drained
- 12 oz farfalle pasta
- 1 c whole milk mozzarella, cubed or pearl-size
- ¼ c parmesan cheese, shredded
- ¼ c basil, torn into small pieces
- crushed red pepper (as desired)
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Place tomatoes on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Season with salt & pepper and roast for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium skillet over medium high heat, brown sausage with 1 Tbls olive oil. I leave my sausage in bigger chunks (think small meatball size). Scoop out cooked sausage and place on a paper-towel lined plate and set aside.
- Add onion and garlic to the sausage pan and cook over medium heat for 3 minutes until fragrant.
- Add chicken broth to onions and simmer for 5 minutes. Add artichoke hearts to broth.
- At the same time you are preparing sausage and broth, heat a large pot of water to boiling and season with salt when adding pasta. Cook pasta until al dente.
- When your pasta is ready, toss together: cooked pasta + roasted tomatoes + cooked sausage + broth with onions/garlic/artichokes.
- Add cheese and basil to dish and serve with crushed red pepper if desired.