Hello friends, family and food blog followers. My posts lately have been a bit lacking and I apologize for that. I have big goals to always have 3 recipes posted every week but lately life is just busy. As in, overwhelmed with nothing big, just juggling a lot of little stuff and a crazy, stubborn 1 1/2 year old. I’m just trying to get supper on the table each day and keep the laundry piles to a minimum. So bear with me please, this may be the only post you will see from me this week.
Today was a big day for Vaida since she had a practice day of Kindergarten at her future school. This meant she got to eat lunch by herself for the first time. She informed me that she ate bread, strawberries, chocolate milk and then another chocolate milk at their milk break. ? Oh boy. (I plan on packing her lunches next year so much more on that this fall.)
Needless to say, I knew she would be hungry this evening, which for my picky eater, means it is a great time to introduce a new dish. Vaida is most apt to try (and like) something new if she really is hungry. She asked me what I was making and I said, “creamy lemon chicken”. Her automatic response, “I’m not trying that.” I just ignored this statement because I knew she would.
First I let her help pound out the chicken – ultra fun for both her and Oliver. Then I let her zest the lemon – also pretty fun for a new kindergartener.
Then while she was pitting cherries for our meal I quickly threw this dish together, and as soon as the garlic hit the pan she had changed her mind. “Oh man, this smells so good, I guess I will try this chicken.”
Mom’s of picky eaters, rejoice!
Why wouldn’t she like this meal? It’s lightly breaded chicken + garlic + a butter/parmesan/lemon/cream sauce.
It may not seem like that big of a deal, I made up a quick dinner tonight that both my children ate, but to me it was a total victory!
- 1 lb chicken breasts (about 3 breasts)
- ⅓ c all purpose or whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ tsp lemon pepper
- ¾ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp fresh cracked pepper
- 2 Tbls olive oil
- 1 Tbls butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- juice of a lemon (and zest)
- 6-8 sage leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 c heavy whipping cream
- ⅓ c shredded parmesan cheese
- Place chicken in a large Ziploc bag or between 2 sheets of parchment paper and pound until thin (about ½" in thickness).
- In a shallow bowl combine flour and seasonings.
- Dredge chicken in the flour mixture until it is well coated.
- Meanwhile pour olive oil in a heavy skillet pan and heat to medium-high.
- Place floured chicken in hot pan and cook for about 5 minutes or until golden brown on one side. Add butter and flip chicken to cook the other side for an additional 5 minutes over medium heat.
- Remove chicken and set aside.
- Reduce heat to low and add garlic and sage, stir and be careful not to burn the garlic.
- Add lemon juice and stir to deglaze the pan.
- Add cream, parmesan and zest of half the lemon and stir well. Season with additional salt and/or pepper if needed.
- Place chicken back in pan on top of cream sauce and simmer on low for about 5 minutes or until sauce has thickened and chicken is cooked to an internal temp of 165 F.
- Serve with rice or mashed potatoes.