This granola is for the chocolate lover in your life. (In my case, this is myself.)
My dessert at night (when the kids are tucked in the bed) has consisted lately of a bowl of yogurt with chocolate chips sprinkled on top. One magical night the jar of chocolate chips was next to a bag of dried cherries and a beautiful combination was born. I primarily use dried cherries when I make homemade granola and thus, crunchy, oaty, chocolate-y cherry granola was on my mind all night. And in the morning I had to tweak my normal granola recipe to make this concoction.
Chocolate granola tastes amazing as a bowl of cereal in the morning. (Here I omitted the cherries and used fresh berries.) This really is the best way to greet a Monday morning.
It hits the spot mid-afternoon topped on some plain yogurt.
And in the evening, add a handful of chocolate chips to it and you have yourself an easy dessert.
Note: this chocolate covered cherry granola stays fresh for a couple of weeks making it a perfect diy Valentine’s day gift to share with the ones you love!
- 4½ cups of rolled oats
- 1½ c sliced almonds
- 1 c unsweetened coconut flakes
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp ginger
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 6 Tbls coconut oil, melted
- ½ c honey
- ⅓ c cocoa powder
- 2 tsp vanilla
- ½ c salt
- 1½ c dried cherries
- Combine oats, almonds, coconut and spices in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl mix oil, honey, cocoa powder, vanilla and salt and stir until smooth.
- Pour wet ingredients over dry and stir until oats are coated.
- Pour on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake at 250 F for 75 minutes.
- Allow granola to cool and stir occasionally to break up into small pieces.
- Add dried cherries when cool.