This recipe really needs no introduction. It’s classic chicken noodle soup. Nothing fancy – just basic ingredients that are elevated with fresh herbs and homemade stock.
As a side note, it must be said that I love soup with my whole heart. You will see many soup recipes in the future and I make almost all of them in the same way. I chop my veggies and then sauté them in a bit of olive oil and this speeds up the whole soup-making process. I add my broth and simmer for 30 minutes or so and voila, dinner is served.
- 2 Tbls olive oil
- 1 c onion, chopped
- 1 c celery, chopped
- 1½ c carrots, chopped
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary
- 1 tsp fresh thyme
- salt/pepper to taste
- 6 c homemade chicken stock (see recipe in previous post)
- 1½ c cooked tender chicken (I prefer dark meat for soups)
- 1½ c wide, home-style egg noodles
- ¼ c fresh parsley
- juice from ½ lemon
- Heat a medium-sized stock pot to medium high heat and add olive oil, onion, celery, carrots, rosemary, thyme, salt & pepper
- Stir and sauté veggies for 3-5 minutes until they start to soften
- Add broth and simmer for 10 minutes
- Add cooked chicken and pasta and simmer an additional 8-10 minutes until pasta and veggies are tender
- Add parsley & lemon juice and season with additional salt and pepper if needed
- Serve immediately
*I like to omit the pasta in this soup if I am going to freeze for future use and then add pasta to the broth when I am reheating.