Are cheesy hash browns a Midwestern thing?? They fall in the same category as tater tot hotdish to me so I’m guessing they may be. Ryan and I grew up eating these and it just dawned on me that I haven’t made them in years. Clearly I needed to introduce my kids to this childhood classic. As I went to make them I realized they called for a cream-of-something soup which is not something I have in my pantry much anymore.
I went out on a limb and figured cheesy potatoes would be delicious no matter what you put in them as long as it included shredded cheese and shredded potatoes (well of course the sour cream and butter may have helped).
Yep, cheesy, ooey gooey potatoes that Ryan and I loved and our kids wouldn’t touch…
- 1 lb shredded potatoes (about 3-4 cups)
- ½ c chicken stock
- ¾ c sour cream
- 1 c pepper jack cheese, shredded
- 1 c cheddar cheese, shredded
- ½ small onion, chopped
- 4 Tbls butter, melted
- ¼ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp fresh chives (or ¼ tsp of dried chives)
- Additional cheese as desired
- In a medium bowl mix all ingredients together and place in a greased 9" pie pan or medium sized casserole dish.
- If desired, sprinkle additional cheese on top of mixture before baking (I did not do this and Ryan thought it needed more cheese).
- Bake at 375 F for 45 minutes.