Hi my name is Elizabeth and I am obsessed with soup.
Honestly, I scroll through Pinterest and just gaze at soup recipes because I am a total nerd. I remember sitting in my childhood home around the age 14 making my entire menu for the soup restaurant I would be opening when I grew up.
The truth is I rarely ever follow a recipe when I make soup because I love the excitement of finding out what “a little of this” and “a little of that” will result in. Luckily, this time I wrote down what I did so I could share my basic broccoli cheese soup recipe with you. In less than 30 minutes you can have a comforting bowl of soup on your table.
I haven’t made this in a long time but I was excited to see what my kids would think of it. I have one child that LOVES broccoli and one child that LOVES cheese. It would make sense then, that this would go over well…wrong! Turns out I have zero kids that share my love for broccoli cheese soup. ?
Tip: I highly recommend shredding your own cheese for this recipe. I find the pre-shredded cheese does not work well for a recipe like this.
- 4 Tbls butter
- ½ c diced carrots
- ½ c diced onion
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp white pepper
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp fresh dill, minced
- 3 Tbls white whole wheat flour (or all-purpose)
- 3 c chicken broth
- 4 c fresh broccoli florets, cut small
- ¼ tsp dry mustard
- 1 c half & half
- 2½ c good quality cheddar cheese, shredded
- Sour cream for topping
- In a medium sauce pan melt butter over medium heat. Add carrots, onions, salt, pepper, garlic powder and dill. Heat and stir for 4-5 minutes to soften carrots. Add flour and stir and cook for 1 minute more.
- Slowly pour in broth, stir and bring to a boil.
- Add broccoli and cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes.
- Add half and half, dry mustard and cheddar cheese. Stir until all of the cheese is melted and soup is heated through.
- Serve topped with a dollop of sour cream.