One would think that a food blogger would have their act together when it comes to meal planning. I have often been asked for my meal plans or menus that I work off of each week. Well, spoiler alert, 90% of the time I’m winging it.
Picture me in the grocery store today pushing a massive cart; baby Vinny sleeping in the carrier; Vaida on a mission to buy every sugar-packed item she can beg me for; and Oliver constantly running ahead of me and down the following aisle so we are back-tracking and weaving in and out of aisles all while trying to remember what I have and don’t have in my pantry. Unpacking at home is full of surprises: “How did those cheese sticks get into my cart?” “Oh I guess I grabbed sage and not basil.” In addition to our weekly groceries we walked away with a Fancy Nancy wedding book and a large green kick ball. 😜 This is my life people.
Yes, I went to the grocery store with a list and you can bet I never had a chance to check that list while we were there.
Fast forward to tonight we have a full pantry and fridge and yet I have no idea what I’m making for dinner. (Have you lost faith in me yet?) Well sit tight because this is where I show you how all of that chaos translated into:
- Pasta that appeals to my husband (mushrooms and white wine sauce)
- Pasta that speaks to me (hello baby arugula I’ve been growing on my front step) and
- Pasta that my kids will gobble up (meanwhile picking out all of the mushrooms and asparagus)
I hope your family loves this meal as much as mine and I hope your grocery shopping experience this week involves a well thought out list and children that quietly sit in the shopping cart. 😇
Pasta with sausage & baby greens
- 1/2 lb ground pork
- 3/4 tsp fennel seed
- 3/4 tsp black pepper
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 heaping Tbls fresh minced sage
- pinch of crushed red pepper
- 1 Tbls olive oil
- 1/3 c shallots, sliced (about 1 large shallot)
- 1 1/2 c petite mushrooms (left whole)
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 c white wine
- 1 1/2 c chicken stock
- 1/4 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- 1 c mozzarella, cubed
- 3/4 c freshly shredded parmesan (plus additional for garnish)
- 1 c baby kale
- 1 c baby arugula
- 2 c asparagus cut in 1″ pieces
- 1 lb zit pasta
- In a large skillet cook pork with fennel, pepper, salt, sage and red pepper flakes. Stir frequently until meat is cooked through. Transfer sausage to a bowl and return skillet to the stovetop.
- Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil. Add salt and ziti pasta and cook until al dente (about 10 minutes).
- Meanwhile, add oil to skillet pan (that sausage was cooked in) and sauté shallots and mushrooms over medium heat for 3-4 minutes. Add wine and deglaze the pan, scraping along the bottom, and simmer for a minute more.
- Add chicken stock, asparagus, basil, 1/2 tsp salt, and parsley and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Drain pasta and add to the sauce along with the cooked sausage, cheeses and greens. Toss everything until well coated. Season with additional salt/pepper to taste and serve immediately.