In our household we are counting down to Christmas and to the birth of our 3rd child. (Eeek, just writing that sounds crazy!) The gifts are wrapped under the tree, Christmas goodies have been made, and my bag is packed for the hospital.
The only preparation I am really lacking, is a freezer full of meals. I was completely on the ball during my other pregnancies and had a stash of homemade meals all ready to go in my freezer for those first hard weeks of brining home a new baby. This year, between our move in November, getting ready for the holidays, and chasing Oliver, I somehow forgot about doing this. My goal is to make it through Christmas and if baby hasn’t arrived yet I will spend the days after Christmas busy in the kitchen whipping up some lasagna, muffins, quiche, meatballs, etc. for the freezer. Maybe all this last minute hustle will actually put me into labor! 😉
I guess I should get back on track to this blog post here. Here we have banana-cranberry-orange zest-goodness. These muffins would be a perfect addition to your Christmas breakfast. My family devoured them in two days and what’s not to love? Banana gives them a bit of density which I like in a muffin; they are made with yogurt which keeps them nice and moist; then there are the bursts of tart cranberries that will have you singing, “It’s the most wonderful time of the year!”
You probably won’t hear from me until after the holidays so I want to wish you the very best Christmas! I hope you find time to make memories in the kitchen and get to take in a Hallmark movie (or two). Mostly, I hope you are surrounded by the ones you love and can experience a bit of magic that only this season can bring.
- 1 c sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 c plain yogurt
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- ¼ c melted coconut oil
- zest of half an orange
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 c cranberries, rinsed and coarsely chopped
- 2 c flour (I used 1 cup whole wheat flour + 1 c unbleached all purpose flour)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- In a large bowl whisk eggs and sugar. Add yogurt, bananas, oil, orange zest and vanilla and stir until smooth.
- Add dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Stir in cranberries.
- Scoop batter into 12 greased (or lined) muffin tin cups (I ended up filling my muffin cups right up to the top to use all the batter.)
- Bake at 400 F for 20-22 minutes.