Let me introduce you to your new favorite salad:
- This is the kind of salad you make and then count down the hours until your next meal when you can make it again.
- This is the kind of salad that appeals to your kids – bacon, raisins, sunflower seeds, anyone??
- This is the kind of salad you will feel awesome about. Yep, that’s kale, broccoli & cabbage in there. 🙌🏻
- This is my favorite fall salad.
Oh, and then there’s that maple vinaigrette I forgot to mention. I started mixing it up in front of my kids and caught their attention when I pulled the maple syrup out. I had them dip a piece of bacon in it, and they were sold. Really the star of the show is probably the whole grain Dijon mustard, but the combo of mustard, garlic, lemon, avocado oil and maple just works. (Sidenote: If I wasn’t making this for my kids I would have added crushed red pepper too.)
The vinaigrette was so good that the next day I made chicken potstickers and when I realized I didn’t have any sweet and sour sauce for dipping them in, Vaida suggested I just make this recipe again. Yep, it worked great! You could probably drizzle this dressing on just about anything but I highly recommend the veggie combination you see here. These were basically all of the random salad fixings I had on hand and when I put them all together this salad was born. I hope you love it as much as we do!
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- ¾ tsp whole grain Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbls avocado oil or olive oil
- 1 Tbls pure maple syrup (more or less to taste)
- 1 c finely chopped broccoli
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 c purple cabbage, finely shredded
- 1½ c finely chopped kale
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 strips of bacon, cooked and chopped
- ¼ c raisins
- ¼ c sunflower seeds
- Whisk together garlic, lemon juice, mustard, oil, maple syrup and salt & pepper. Refrigerate and shake well before pouring over veggies. Place broccoli, tomato, cabbage, kale, onion, bacon, raisins and seeds in a medium bowl. Add vinaigrette and toss until well coated. Enjoy immediately.